Wednesday 14 December 2011

My Soy Sauce Rant (Uni Task)

I admit it, the first few times I ate sushi I almost threw up. I don't know what ti was about it, there was nothing wrong with the taste. But I was young and obsessed with Japan (and I still am) and the other Japan obsessed people around me seemed to think it was a crime not to like sushi. So I kept trying and got over the reaction.

But there's something I never understood, you find it with a few Asian meals but sushi seems to stand out the most for me, the boxes you buy in stores always comes with soy sauce! I only tried it a few times - after the first it was just to remind myself that it really tasted that bad. I don't remember the taste now but I remember thinking it was the most disgusting thing I'd ever tasted. The worst part is that some sushi boxes from stores try to make it appealing by putting it in cute fish shaped containers that are adorable. It's an insult. I keep the container though, providing I can get the soy sauce out without breaking it.

I don't understand how so many people love it. Then again, I love wasabi and a lot of people don't. My friends looked genuinely scared when I ate a spoonful of it by itself. (Well that's how I feel watching them down soy sauce!)

(Note: Similarly to the last post, this was written in class and we were asked to talk about a food we hate. I may have been exaggerating, it's been a long time since I last had soy sauce, I might not even hate it so much anymore. Anyway, the point is I mean no offense to anyone who loves soy sauce... so yeah...)

No comments:

Post a Comment