Thursday 31 January 2013

Monthly Update: January 2013


Alright, let’s get right into it. What important things happened to me this month?

Started new semester at uni
I won’t go that much into detail on this one. I’ll just say that it’s going pretty well so far. I still need to pick up my marked work from last semester. I hope I still can. One of my modules made me read a really awesome book. I keep meaning to write a review of it, so I’ll post it on here when I do.

Found accommodation for next year
I had a lot of trouble trying to find accommodation this time around. The site for the one I’m currently in kept failing so it was nearly impossible to book it. I never did manage, but I wanted to find a cheaper option anyway. One I tried said they had rooms available but they expected you to select your own room and whenever I selected one, even when they said there were rooms available in the flat a second ago, it would say they were all full. And it wasn’t that someone else had taken it in that second because it still said available. That was for every room so I gave up. There was another one even cheaper that looked great. I managed to apply for it and have even been offered a room since, but I found out through my dad that they’re in a lot of financial trouble and might be closing down before next year so it’s too risky. Then, someone from my class added me on Facebook and offered to rent the spare room in her flat to me next year. It seems so perfect too! So I’ve accepted that offer and I’m now very much looking forward to moving in with them.
I think I’ve also found better storage for the summer too.

Bought a lot of cosplay supplies
I’ve bought about half the stuff for my Silica cosplay now and all but three bits for my Ulquiorra cosplay. I went one to the fabric store day and bought a lot of stuff and I couldn’t resist going back the next day for more. I also bought a metre of this really adorable fleece with all these hearts and cupcakes on it. I’ve been using it as a blanket, poncho, scarf and whatever else I want.

Made my first plushie
It was mostly to practice the sewing techniques I’ll need for making my costumes, so by those standards I’m calling it a success. Okay, I don’t want to say the plushie came out badly. It didn’t really. It looks far from perfect, it doesn’t look that good, but considering the last thing like this I made was a very basic shaped rectangular pillow and that was about nine years ago in school, I’d say it was pretty damn good.

Booked all travel for next few months
So I get to go back to London each month now. This month for a weekend (well, Saturday-Tuesday, though I’d booked that one already) and again in March (Friday-Tuesday) and over the Easter holiday, going back for Summer at the beginning of May. 5 coach trip that came to just under £15 total, which is really good considering how close some of them are.

My dad got a job
So this isn’t really my news but yeah. My dad’s been looking for a job for so long and for the last few months he’s been waiting to see if he gets this one job and he did! I’m so happy for him, and he seems really happy too.

Okay, now let’s look at plans for this month:

Trip to London
I’m going to back home on the 9th. On the 10th I’ll be going to the Chinese New Year celebrations, it’s kind of tradition for me now, and I’ll probably be going to Tokyo Toys to see if I can pick up a couple of things when I’m done there. Then on the 11th I’m meeting up with a friend and we’re going to go cosplay shopping together. I’m not sure how much if anything I’ll actually be getting for myself yet but it’s fun to go anyway, especially with a friend.

Gather more cosplay supplies and start making things
This is sort of a follow on from the last one. I’m a little low on money at the moment from food shopping and buying other necessary things (and cosplay stuff) but hopefully at some point this month I’ll be getting £500 and I can put a little of it toward the rest of the things I need. Then I’ll need to start making my cosplays for May. I’m trying to work out a schedule at the moment for when I’ll be working on what part. Most of it I want to make in London, I’m sure I can do it here too but it wouldn’t be the same. I will be doing some of the more basic things here though, and perhaps a couple of other bits.

Finish first draft of independent study project
Yeah, just a basic one, hopefully I’ll be able to finish this by the end of the month so I can get feedback on it and start the redraft/final version as soon as possible.

Most of these things are going to be posted about on here. It's going to be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment